Charity Number: 1147613

©2019 by Just Whippets Rescue. Proudly created with Wix.com

CHRISTMAS IS COMING

Danger at Christmas

Chocolate  

The chemical theobromine, which is a bit like caffeine, is found in chocolate and is toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause agitation, hyperexcitability, tremors, convulsions and problems with the heart. The darker the chocolate, the more potent levels of theobromine become – with baker’s chocolate the most dangerous.

 

Chocolate should be avoided at all costs.

 

But what do you do if your dog does eat chocolate? Even small amounts have the potential to make them feel sick, but veterinary treatment should be sought for any dog ingesting more than 20 mg/kg of theobromine – that’s equivalent to 3.5 g/kg of plain or dark chocolate and 14 g/kg milk chocolate. White chocolate does not contain enough theobromine to cause toxicity, but it can be fatty and pose a potential risk of pancreatitis.  Avoid putting any chocolate on or under the Christmas tree, as the temptation might be too great for our four legged friends.

Christmas pudding and mince pies:
Grapes and dried vine fruits (currants,

sultanas, raisins)

Grapes and their dried products (currants, sultanas and raisins) are toxic to dogs. Ingestion of even a small quantity can cause severe kidney failure. Don’t forget this will include food items that contain dried fruits such as Christmas pudding and mince pies. Be aware that chocolate-coated raisins run the additional risk of chocolate toxicity.

Onions (and garlic, leeks, shallots and chives)

Onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and chives all belong to the Allium species of plants and can cause toxicity, whether uncooked or cooked. Initially there can be vomiting and diarrhoea but the main effect is damage to red blood cells, resulting in anaemia. This may not be apparent for several days after ingestion.

Alcohol

Alcohol can have a similar effect in dogs as it does in their owners when drunk in excess. They can become wobbly and drowsy and in severe cases, there is a risk of low body temperature, low blood sugar and coma. Dogs may help themselves to any unattended alcohol left lying around over Christmas, so ensure it's always out of their reach.

 

Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts can cause lethargy, increased body temperature, tremor,

lameness and stiffness in dogs. 

 

Leftovers 

If there is any food left over at Christmas, be careful to dispose of it well and keep it out of the reach of your four-legged friend. Not only may the food include ingredients toxic to dogs, mould in leftovers (including yoghurt, bread and cheese) can produce toxins that cause rapid onset convulsions in dogs.

Artificial sweeteners

A sugar-free sweetener called xylitol is often found in the sweets we consume over Christmas, as well as chewing gums, mouthwashes, toothpastes and supplements. It is poisonous to dogs and, although the amounts in different products vary, event one to two pieces of chewing gum can cause toxic effects in a small dog. It can induce the release of insulin in the body, resulting in low blood sugar and sometimes liver damage. Signs of poisoning can be rapid or delayed, and include vomiting, lethargy, convulsions and comas. The prognosis is good if the low blood sugar is treated quickly.

Other hazards

 

 

Silica gel

Silica gel comes in small sachets and is often found in the packaging of new shoes, handbags, cameras or electrical equipment which we unwrap over Christmas. Although it is labelled “Do not Eat” it is considered to be of low toxicity.

 

Christmas decorations

Decorations made of plastic, paper or foil are of low toxicity although may obstruct

the stomach. Glass decorations could pose a risk if chewed or swallowed.

 

Wrapping or crepe paper

Ingestion may cause staining in the mouth which may look alarming, but the toxicity is considered to be low. But if your dog eats a large amount, it may cause an obstruction to the stomach.

 

Candles

Although candles, even scented ones, are considered to be of low toxicity,

ingestion could potentially block the intestine or cause choking.

 

Potpourri

When eaten, potpourri can cause significant gastrointestinal effects in dogs.

These may last several days even after the material has passed through the gut.

 

Cigarettes

Nicotine is toxic to dogs, and cigarette butts are especially dangerous - so it's important not to leave any ashtrays in reach of dogs over Christmas, or dropped on the floor where they may eat them. Nicotine replacement patches and e-cigarette refills can also pose a risk. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, excess saliva and hypertension.

OTHER NEWS

What leftovers can I give my dog at Christmas?

Providing your dog is healthy and is not allergic to the following foods, these are safe to give them a titbit of at Christmas:

  • Turkey meat (no skin or bones)

  • Salmon (fillets or cooked in spring water are preferable to smoked salmon)

  • Lamb meat (no bones)

  • Scrambled egg

  • Green beans

  • Brussel sprouts

  • Parsnips

  • Carrot

  • Peas

  • Swede

  • Mash potato (best without additional butter)

  • New potatoes

  • Sweet potatoes

  • Yogurt (but check the ingredients and don’t feed if xylitol is listed as this is toxic to dogs)

Remember, giving your dog lots of new food can cause vomiting and diarrhoea!

Dog Law_edited_edited_edited.jpg

ALL DOG OWNERS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DOG LAW!

All dog owners should be aware of the laws that govern dog ownership. Kennel Club Guide to UK Dog Law

Sept 2017.JPG

WHIPPET CARE

Feeding your Whippet
Just Whippets Rescue recommends that you feed a high quality manufactured food such as (dry kibble) Futures, Burns, Skinners, CSJ, Autarky or Red Mills. Please avoid foods with added colourings and preservatives, e.g. Bakers, which are low in natural nutrients, high in filler content and can induce excitable behaviour due to the chemicals used in producing the colouring of the food.